Job Title: Deputy Company Secretary
Salary: Competitive + Bonus / Benefits
Job Type: Full Time
At Wickes we have an exciting opportunity for a qualified governance professional to join our dedicated in-house Legal and Sustainability team, reporting into our Head of Legal and working closely with our General Counsel & Company Secretary and the Board.
In this role you will be responsible for promoting good corporate governance practice, ensuring compliance with laws, regulation and Group governance policies, delivering efficient administration of the Group’s legal entities and share schemes and providing support and advice on corporate governance, statutory regulation and company law matters to the business.
Utilising your excellent communication skills, you will be advising and supporting all levels of management at Wickes on governance matters including:
- Organise the meeting schedule for the Plc Board and its Committees.
- Work closely with the Company Secretary, Board members and senior management to prepare agendas and papers for Plc Board and Committee and Executive Board meetings.
- Coordinate the preparation of papers, ensuring papers are issued in a timely manner.
- Draft and review papers for Board and Committee meetings as required.
- Attend and minute Audit & Risk, Remuneration and Responsible Business Committee meetings and deputise for the Company Secretary to minute Board and Nominations Committee meetings if required.
- Ensure actions from meetings are followed up and completed.
- Monitor standards for Board administration and seek opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Organise the AGM and prepare the materials required for shareholders and the Board.
- Assist in the preparation of the Annual Report, including drafting the governance disclosures and ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Support the delivery of services to shareholders including dividends, maintaining the corporate website and resolving shareholder enquiries, liaising with external service providers as required
- Draft and release regulatory announcements.
- Maintain statutory records for Group entities ensuring all records are up to date and accurate and relevant filings are made at Companies House in a timely manner.
- Manage statutory compliance processes including providing training for statutory directors and maintaining conflicts of interest registers.
- Legal and Regulatory Compliance
- Support the development and implementation of governance, legal and regulatory policies, processes, guidance and training across the business to help enable colleagues to do the right thing.
- Monitor and report on compliance with Group legal and regulatory policies and support the business to maintain and improve standards of compliance with these policies.
- Oversee the administration of share schemes and develop share scheme processes and procedures to reflect best practice and improve efficiency.
- Ensure continuous improvement in the delivery and communication of share schemes, ensuring available technology is fully utilised.
- Develop relationships with external suppliers, monitor performance and hold suppliers accountable for issues.
Advisor to the business
- Advise the business in matters of best practice in corporate governance and compliance with company law and regulation and work with the business to develop solutions which help the business to work efficiently within the legal and regulatory frameworks that apply.
- Develop relationships with stakeholders and influence the business to do the right thing in relation to corporate governance.
- Monitor developments in share schemes, company law and governance and identify threats and opportunities.
- Work cross functionally to develop and implement solutions to ensure the Group meets new requirements as a result of changes in laws, regulations and best practice.
- Develop self to meet full potential.
- Support the Legal & Sustainability team and assist/lead on projects as required including Cosec, legal and cross-functional business projects.
You’ll need to be ICSA qualified with at least 3 years relevant experience gained in a fast moving listed company environment (ideally retail) and a genuine commitment to be the very best you can.
You will have excellent attention to detail, relationship building and organisation skills and you will have the ability to effectively communicate complex matters in a simple and creative way. In addition, you will be an enthusiastic and curious ‘hands on’ self-starter and be able to operate at all levels within a fast paced but rewarding environment.
What can we offer you?
You’ll be supported by some fantastic training and development and have the opportunity to learn, grow and develop
We’ll also equip you with a benefits package that includes
Competitive bonus / Save-as-you-earn scheme / Contributory pension scheme
Colleague discount / Car Allowance / Discount platform including savings and cash back at numerous retailers, savings on gym membership, cycle to work scheme
Our widely recognised wellbeing strategy is something we’re proud of at Wickes. As part of this, we offer a range of health and wellbeing benefits and support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, financial education & loans, and access to parental, menopause and fertility support.
Wickes is a multi-channel retailer operating in the home improvement market. With 40 years in industry, Wickes now generates revenue in excess of £1.5bn across 230 stores delivered by 8,000+ colleagues.
But it is the Wickes’ culture that is considered its best kept secret; it’s a collaborative, down to earth, fun and inclusive environment where people feel part of a winning team. All our colleagues come from different backgrounds, but what we all have in common is a determination to succeed and a passion for being the best we can be. If that sounds like you, we’ll make you feel right at home.
Please contact us here if you require any adjustments within the application process. If you require any reasonable adjustments at the interview stage you will have an opportunity to inform us when we invite you to interview. Please note, this link is only for reasonable adjustments required – general enquiries, or direct CV applications cannot be accepted via this form.