Managing Quantity Surveyor
Salary circa £50,000 – £55,000 per annum, plus excellent benefits package
37 hours per week based at Harvey Road, Bilborough, Nottingham NG8 3BB
12 month fixed term contract/internal secondment opportunity
Nottingham City Homes manages more than 27,000 homes across the city on behalf of Nottingham City Council. Our vision is to ‘create homes and places where people want to live’. All of our homes have reached the decent homes standard and, as part of our ‘Building a better Nottingham’ programme, we are building hundreds of new council homes – the biggest programme of its kind for a generation. At Nottingham City Homes, we offer an excellent benefits package with a minimum of 25 days’ holiday, flexible working, training and personal development, an additional holiday purchase scheme, lifestyle benefits, childcare vouchers and Nottingham City Homes is a participating employer in the Defined Benefit Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
We are looking to appoint an experienced Managing Quantity Surveyor for our Commercial Services team, for a 12-month period. Reporting to the Head of Commercial Services, this is a pivotal role and a fantastic opportunity for you to help shape our organisation, whilst offering enormous variety, scope and responsibility to lead, develop, and promote new business opportunities for the Company.
We are in a time of significant business growth, and this role signifies the next stage of our development. You will actively lead, develop and promote the Quantity Surveying and Project Management services providing strategic and operational direction to the Head of Commercial Services working with external partners and contractors, tenants and other key stakeholders to make our communities a great place to live and work while ensuring cost effectiveness and sound QS commercial practices.
This role will involve everything from taking control of the tendering process and benchmarking, to selecting and appointing sub-contractors, managing open book accounting, and identifying new opportunities. You’ll enjoy the freedom to use your initiative, lead by example and to make the most of your experience and technical know-how. This is a challenging role and as such you will need to be a persuasive communicator and negotiator, with a strong background in a contracting environment and/or a relevant HNC/HND/NVQ Level 4 / RICS degree qualification.
You will need:
- Experience of working in a construction or housing related organisation
- experience of managing quantity surveyors/commercial staff
- to demonstrate experience of working in a contracting environment
- knowledge of appropriate building and related trade practices and technology
- experience in the preparation and submission of estimates, tenders, valuations and final accounts for building related works
- experience of quantity surveying procedures and practices
- experience of schedule of rates contracts
- experience of partnering contracting arrangements In addition, you will be able to combine your experience with sound IT skills, including the use of estimating and project management systems.
In exchange you can expect a rewarding professional career where personal development is actively encouraged and supported. We offer exceptional company benefits within a very people focused business environment as well as a modern working environment with a strong emphasis on work life balance.
If you would like to apply for this opportunity, please submit a persuasive covering letter and CV demonstrating your suitability for this role.
Closing date: 31 March 2021 (midnight) – This may be subject to change based on volume of suitable applications
We welcome applications from all sections of our diverse community.
We would like to reassure all prospective candidates that Nottingham City Homes takes the safety/wellbeing of prospective employees very seriously. All interviews will follow the latest Government guidelines relating to Covid-19.
Measures we are taking:
- Interviews are being carried out remotely over Microsoft Teams.
- If a site visit is essential, we have implemented a range of safety measures and abide by social distancing & will provide you protective equipment as appropriate.
- All successful candidates will have a Covid-19 risk assessment
- Provided with relevant PPE equipment in line with requirements for the job
- Additional measures will be assessed and implemented where necessary.