Salary: £35,352.92 per annum + London weighting
Shift hours: Full Time
Great Registered General Nurses (RGNs) are essential to the smooth running of our Healthcare department within the establishment. They have an important role to play in supporting residents with their ongoing medical care.
What makes a great prison RGN?
We are looking for people who will be a natural fit for the job.
Are you the sort of person who:
- Is reliable?
- Is forward thinking with a holistic approach to care?
- Always treats others fairly and with respect?
- Are you able to give continuity of care without judgement?
- Is quick to notice things, such as changes in peoples condition or when something isn’t quite right?
- Can easily connect and talk to all sorts of people from different backgrounds on their level?
- Keeps calm under pressure?
Why choose Sodexo?
We provide a safe and controlled working environment where you get to see the full cycle of patient care and work with a dedicated multidisciplinary team. You will have the opportunity to work independently, make your own decisions and have a family friendly work-life balance. Some of the benefits that we offer are:
- Excellent salary £35,352.92 per annum + London weighting (£287.75 paid monthly)
- Free on-site parking
- Free meals while on duty
- 25 days holiday plus 8 days bank holidays, this increases to 28 days plus 8 days bank holiday after 3 years of service. There is also the option to purchase up to an additional 5 days holiday.
- Maternity Pay – 12 weeks full pay reducing to 12 weeks half pay and bonus after 5 years service of 4 weeks pay.
- Sick pay Full pay for 4 weeks from 3 months service increasing with service length to full pay for 12 weeks with over 5 years service.
- Long service award
- Free learning and development
- Access to Sodexo Discounts – wide range of Holiday, travel and retail discounts
- Access to flexible benefits – this is via salary sacrifice where you can purchase a wide range of benefits including holidays, insurance and dental cover.
- Support in contributing ½ towards NMC fee’s
- Refer a friend to nursing bonus
- We use a team based self-rostering rota system – You will schedule your hours to cover on average 37.5 hours per week. You also work alternate weekends and you will cover a set on 1 week night shift on a 16 weeks rolling rota schedule and you will get 1 week off following your nights.
- Staff will be allocated to attend training according to identified training needs and is based on skills gap analysis and service needs and e.g. Training to run Asthma Clinic, Diabetic clinics, sexual health clinics, Cervical screening clinics, phlebotomy, wound care.
- There is gym on site which staff can attend on their free times and you can also have subsidised gym membership in the community
We will consider applications for job share or part time hours which can be discussed at interview stage
What’s the job like?
Our nurses support the general Healthcare provision within the prison environment. You will be joining a unique, exciting but challenging environment, where you will have a range of nursing duties, from health promotion to first response emergency care and will be central to the continued successful operation of the site. You will be expected to encourage patients to look after their health needs and become active with promotion. On a daily basis medication is dispensed in a safe and timely manner, this includes an awareness of controlled medication within a secure environment. We are looking for people who can run a variety of nurse led clinics such as chronic disease management, health screening programmes, wound care, immunisations, venepuncture and the ability to link up and work closely with other agencies to ensure holistic shared care planning.
Why be a prison RGN?
You will be working in a dynamic environment that will encourage you to use a range of skills. Anything from Health promotion to A&E you will be delivering a broad spectrum of care. Health promotion is key for the residents and you will be involved in promoting their involvement in self-care. Sodexo Justice aims to change lives for the better by reducing reoffending and improving the quality of life for those in our care. We deliver safe, effective and innovative care and community rehabilitation services that offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better.
- RGN – Registered General Nurse
- Previous experience and the ability to work in a fast paced environment doing varied nursing duties
- Experience as a Band 5 equivalent nurse
- Up to date NMC registration
- Passionate and committed to the role we play in rehabilitating and maintaining the wellbeing of our women
- Desire to continuously improve yourself through further development as appropriate
You will need to be Registered General Nurse. We will not be able to proceed with applications from student nurses for this position until you have qualified and have a valid NMC registration number
Previous experience of working in a prison environment is not essential as the prison will provide supervision and training.
Location: HMP Bronzefield, Ashford, Middlesex (close to Heathrow), England